Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dog Lake

Last month we took the kids up Mill Creek Canyon to go on a hike. I had checked into some hikes that sounded like they would be easy enough for the kids, at least Clate and Halle, since we only have 1 child backpack. The hike to Dog Lake said that it was 3.6 miles roundtrip with 1000 ft climb (not sure how steep that makes it), and easy. It sounded maybe on the long side for little short legs, but as long as it was easy terrain, I figured we could take our time and the kids would be okay. As it turned out, the path was well-groomed, but it sure was steep! Much steeper than I would have chosen for the kids had I known. Clate almost hiked the whole way by himself, but he did require some cheerleading and encouragement, and a short piggyback ride toward the top. Luckily I had brought along my baby sling...at least it was something to help carry one of the girls. We ended up having to carry Halle about half the way up, and Chloe the whole way. At the top, the lake wasn't very clear at all, but the scenery was beautiful. The kids enjoyed playing at the water a bit before we headed back down. It turned out to be a pretty fun afternoon!

No comments: